Genus Erica: An Identification Aid
This is a computer package that is
designed to help you identify an Erica. The package:
- Is easy to use with online help that allows the understanding of Erica
- Assists in identifying Ericas, by entereing relevant
characters that describe the Erica.
- Caters for Ericas of the world covering Europe, Africa and Madagascar with the highlight being that
of the Cape Fynbos where most Erica species occur naturally.
- Contains an almost complete portfolio of pictures and drawings for 946
- Compares Ericas for similarities and/or differences. The characters
used for comparing Ericas may be configured.
- Prints a species list for regions or a 25km x 25km grid reference given
the 1: 50000 South African topographical map name or grid reference. Species lists for all other characters and
combinations can be generated. This is useful if you are
visiting an area and would like to know which Ericas occur there.
- Displays distribution maps for Ericas on a 25km x 25km grid using ESRI's
ArcExplorer or ArcGIS Explorer data viewer or simplified GIS (Geographical Information System).
- Has a botanical reference to the literature for relevant scientific
- Sorts Erica species by Species or Id number (modification of Flora
Capensis) or Schumann for quick access.
- Multiple photographs can be displayed for a species and many more are available in this version.
The package is available from:
The identification aid is the result of the collaborative efforts of Ted Oliver, Inge Oliver,
Fritz Volk and Nigel Forshaw.
You need to have a computer that meets the following criteria:
- A computer running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP1 or Windows 7 (32 or
64 bit operating systems) running on suitable hardware (duo core minimum).
- For best results, a monitor with the Screen Resolution set to a minimum of 1280 x 960 pixels.
- 263MB free disk space.
- A graphics viewing package or an Internet Browser.